Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Lucy's Stocking

There is some necessary equipment for being a member of our family.  One is the last name. Another is a pair of wool socks. And finally, everybody needs a Christmas stocking.

Now that we have a new member of the family, I turned my head in the direction of making some stockings for little Lucy, now 4 months old.  I decided to knit her regular socks first.  I had some soft, pink and cream Merino in fingering weight (pretty thin) that I had purchased to repair a friend's hat.  I only used about 5 feet, so I had lots left over. I made Lucy a tiny pair of pink socks with two cream stripes at the top. I have enough to make her a tiny pair of cream socks, with two pink stripes at the top.  

Then I thought about her Christmas stocking.  My eyes not being what they used to be, I thought I'd try to knit her a Christmas stocking. I found a colorful pattern, got some yarn, and set to work.  Of course it was colorwork. I made it about 3/4 of the way down the leg before I stopped and realized it just wasn't going to work.




All the rest of the family has cross-stitch stockings . . . even our dear Son-In-Law.  I couldn't make Lucy's different from everybody else's! I just couldn't.

Just about that time, a cross-stitch and needlepoint catalog came in the mail.  There at the back was a pattern for the cutest Christmas stocking, with leafless poplar trees on the leg, harboring 5 cardinals, and 2 polar bear cubs rolling in the snow on the ankle and toe.

It was done on light blue hardanger cloth, and everything else was mostly white.  I showed it to my daughter, who promptly fell in love with it, too, and said she would do half of it.  It was only August. We could surely get it done.













So far, here is what we have done I have done.  It is September 17th.  Luckily, the trees and top banner went quickly, as they were all half-cross. 

Hopefully, the cubs will also go quickly, as they are white and take up about a quarter of the stocking.

Here's hoping and stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment